moving guide: after moving
- Locate your local post office, police station, fire station and hospitals as well as gas stations near your home.
- Become familiar with your neighborhood shopping areas. You may need house wares, tools or other items for your new home unexpectedly.
- Call the department of sanitation in your new home to find out which day the trash is collected and what type of recycling programs are available in your community.
- Get new service providers such as a bank, pharmacist, cleaner, cable television etc if you have not already done so.
- Contact your local DMV if you have moved to a different state to exchange your driver’s license and register your vehicle.
- Provide your new doctor and dentist with your medical history.
- Transfer insurance policies to your new agent. You may also wish to make a detailed list of your belongings, their value, and you coverage.
- Get information on schools, libraries, community activities and emergency calling service fro your local Chamber of Commerce.
- Obtain local library cards.
- Register to vote in your new city.
- Decide which documents must be kept and determine for how long. File and keep them in a safe place.